Goverment Gateway account
You will need a Government Gateway account to be able to claim the Self Employment Income Support Scheme. Here are the instructions how to create an account. We cannot create this for you.
- Go to HMRC’s login page.
- Click the GREEN sign in button. Please scroll to the bottom of the next page and click on “Continue to your account”.
- Click “Create sign in details”
- Enter your email address where asked.
- You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
- You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account, then it is recommended that you print this page to PDF and file it somewhere safe. The user ID is a digital string so not memorable. Losing this ID can create a lot of work in the future, and if you lose it moments before a deadline you may receive a late payment penalty.
IMPORTANT: As the User ID is a digit string it is sometimes confused for your UTR or tax ID. If you are registering for a tax (such as self assessment) note that you have not yet registered, and you have only created your government gateway account. You will still need to complete another step to register with HMRC.
Once you have followed the above steps you will now have created your government gateway account.
Adding taxes to your government gateway account
Now that you have setup your government gateway account, you should also add each tax that your business has registered for. You do not need to add taxes that you are not registered for,
The taxes you can add include:
- Corporation Tax
- PAYE for Employers
- VAT EC Sales List
To add a service you will need to do the following:
- From the business tax summary page, click “get online access to a tax, duty or scheme”
- Select the tax that you want to add
- Click the GREEN continue button
- Each tax will require specific information relating to that tax (UTR for Corp Tax, VAT certificate and last return filed for VAT, PAYE reference and Accounts office reference numbers for PAYE) so ensure that you have any associated information to hand before proceeding.
- After you have added the tax HMRC will then post an activation code to your registered office address, but claims made after 19th April 2020 will get instant access.
- Once the code arrives, input this into the account and the tax will (finally) be added onto the Government Gateway account. Please note that you might have to wait 24 hours for the system to update and for it to actually show.