27 January 2014    |    Taxation

Tax deductible professional fees and subs

If you pay a subscription to a professional organisation, then you can usually apply for a tax deduction for the fee you pay.

HMRC publish a list of the allowable expenses, and the current list has recently been published by HMRC.

Claiming the expenses is simple – just add it to your tax return, or if you are an employee, phone HMRC and ask them to include the subscription in your tax code.

If you want to make a backdated claim of up to 4 years, then contact us for guidance on how this can be done.

Similar rules apply for clothing and uniform allowances – for example Nurses can claim for tights and shoes – and seprate lists of the allowance amounts hat can be claimed are available.


The information provided is for general information purposes only.

Legislation and details may have changed since this was written.  The text may not include all matters that are relevant to your individual situation.

You should not make decisions, or refrain from making decisions, without taking further professional advice about your specific circumstances.

Trinity House
31 Lynedoch St.
G3 6EF

71 King Street

49-50 Bayhead

Website by Haiwyre