17 November 2012    |    Uncategorized

Overpaying National Insurance in employment

It is possible to overpay National Insurance even if your only source of income is from employment income.

There are two scenarios where this can happen:

If you overpay, the good news is that the Inland Revenue will pick this up quite quickly, and will write to you to check and arrange the refund within about 6 months of the end of the tax year.  The process is quite simple, although the form itself is quite daunting.

If you pay other types of NI then there is a similar process to reclaim the overpayment.

We have noticed that employees whose employers who have moved their operations to the Channel Islands, are particularly likely to be in this position; and the Wood Group is the most recent example.

If you need more help with this, please contact Angus Nicolson.

31 Lynedoch St.
G3 6EF

71 King Street

49-50 Bayhead

Website by Haiwyre