Nicolson Accountancy

Nicolson Accountancy, Accountants of choice

Call us free on 0800 731 2707

Jump straight to the data sources available


Use this link to access the Inland Revenue online payments service.


The telephone number for the Inland Revenue is 0845 302 1435.

In our experience it is best for the taxpayer (not the agent) to contact the Inland Revenue directly. We would advise that you ensure that all your affairs are up to date and that you know the value of any current, and an estimate of any future likely, PAYE, tax or VAT that you cannot pay at present. You are also advised to have thought about how you are likely to be able to settle the liabilities - do you need three months, six months or a year to get back on your feet?

Whilst the Inland Revenue will do their best to help you, you should be sure that the business is going to return to profitability or that cash flow is going to improve, or you may just be delaying the inevitable.

If you want more advice on this, then contact us immediately.


All the links are to Government sites and open in a new window.



Employee general enquiries 0300 200 3300
VAT enquiries 0300 200 3700
National Insurance enquiries 0300 200 3500
New employer (brand new or under 3 years) or to Register as an employer Online 0845 60 70 143
Employers advice website
Stationery online orderline 0845 7 646 646
Submit a nil PAYE monthly return
Stationery orderline fax 0845 2 406 406
Contractors orderline 0845 3000 551
Contractors and sub-contractors verification and helpline 0845 366 7899
Sub-contractors orderline 0845 3000 551
National Minimum Wage helpline 0845 6000 678
Accounts office - Cumbernauld 0845 366 7816
Accounts office - Shipley 01274 530750
Mineral Oils Relief Centre 0191 201 1813
Tax credit helpline 0845 300 3909
Online service helpdesk 0845 60 55 99
Online services email


VAT Registration form (VAT 1)
Partnership VAT Registration form (VAT 2)
VAT deregistration form (VAT 7)
Transfer of VAT Registration (VAT 68)
Marine Fuel duty reclaim form

Income Tax
Mandate to authorise an agent to act (64-8)
New style P46 form
Notification to Inland Revenue on commencement of self-employment
Guidance on employed/self-employed status (IR56)

Companies House
Form 288a - appointment of Director/Secretary
Form 288b - resignation of Director/secretary
Advice on forming a company
Guidance on the choice of Company names
Business Names Act guidance

Corporation Tax
Form 42 (Return of employment related securities) [short version]

Employment matters
Changes to the law on preventing illegal working: short term guidance for UK employers


Here are some pieces of software or statutory forms for download which we have found useful.  This list will be regularly updated and extended. The forms are in pdf format, and you can get Adobe Acrobat for free by clicking here or on the icon below.  To download a pdf, right click on the link, and then select "save target as..."

Adobe Acrobat - to read pdf files
Winzip - not free, but the best way to compress files
pdf writer - turn any document into a pdf
Firefox browser - the best and safest browser for security on the web
Thunderbird - a better, safe and easier mail and news client
Grisoft anti-virus - free efficient and effective
OpenOffice - a free and more efficient option to Micro$oft Office

All of these programs are free to use, but Winzip and pdfFactory require to be registered for prolonged use.  But, don't worry, they aren't expensive.